5 Crucial Tips to Prevent Alcohol Poisoning in Dogs
HomeDogs5 Crucial Tips to Prevent Alcohol Poisoning in Dogs
Around the holidays, it is easy for dogs to be slipped alcohol beverages by party guests or by accidental spillage. As responsible pet parents, keep in mind the harm dogs can be associated with if no precautions are taken. Dogs really shouldn’t be drinking alcohol brewed for humans. It is very hard for dogs to metabolize alcohol which can lead to toxicity for dogs. Follow along with these 5 crucial tips to prevent alcohol poisoning in dogs.
Dogs Aren’t Completely Attracted to Alcohol
Alcohol poisoning isn’t as common as many people think. In fact, most dogs stay clear of the beverages. However, dogs may tend to be more attracted to fruit-based drinks, cocktails, punches, ciders, seltzers, and foods with alcohol as a key ingredient. Also, note that some mixed beverages and diet drinks may contain Xylitol which is highly dangerous for dogs.
Separate Dogs from Alcohol
Safely store alcoholic beverages and food items that contain alcohol such as raw bread dough. There are many household items that have alcoholic ingredients such as hand sanitizers, disinfectant sprays, detergents, soaps, and shampoos. Lock these products, drinks, and food items from your dogs where they cannot reach them. Leaving your pet unsupervised is a common way for alcohol poisoning in dogs.
Causes of Alcohol Poisoning
Small amounts of alcohol can be hazardous to your dog’s health. Alcohol can cause lethargy, respiratory depression, and dangerously low body temperature in dogs. They can have their central nervous system impaired, suffer from metabolic acidosis, manifest hypoglycemia, and quickly have gastrointestinal distress.
Symptoms of Alcohol Poisoning
Remember that dogs can respond to the effects of alcohol just like humans. Contact your vet if you think this is an emergency situation, and/or call the pet poison hotline if you have any concerns. If you think your dog has come across alcohol or alcohol-based products, look out for these key symptoms:
Depression or lethargy
Vomiting or retching.
Decreased respiratory rate.
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).
Hypotension (low blood pressure).
Hypothermia (low body temperature).
What to Do if Your Dog Drinks Alcohol
First, make sure to eliminate the alcohol away from your dog.
Second, write down the symptoms your pet is having.
Third, conclude how much your pet had consumed and what type of alcohol they may have come in contact with.
Lastly, call your veterinarian, animal hospital, or pet poison helpline. Let them know the information you investigated and the health and weight of your dog.
Remember to observe National Pet Poison Prevention Month this March, from The Fire Hydrant Team.