National Pet Poison Prevention Month

For the month of March, pet owners should take note of the dangers common items have on their furry loved ones with the National Pet Poison Prevention Month.

Did you know that for every fifth phone call to The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), a pet ate a toxin that was found around the house. We have a habit of leaving our belongings anywhere throughout the house. However, we are also unaware of all the toxins that our pets could accidentally ingest. To prevent such a thing, this article shares different items that are dangerous for pets to consume that are common around the home. 

National pet Poison Awareness month

Take a look around and look for these items: 

  • Any loose over-the-counter and prescription medications. The APCC had shared that medications were the most common pet toxins in 2020. 
  • Certain foods such as: grapes, raisins, onions, garlic, macadamia nuts, cherries, mushrooms, and berries.
  • Chocolate! This delicious treat is toxic for pets. It contains caffeine and a chemical called theobromine that dogs cannot metabolize. Keep in mind, the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is.
  • A sweetener called Xylitol. You can find this in sugar-free products and in other foods like some brands of peanut butters, sugarless gums (Trident™, Orbit™, and Ice Breaker™) candies, mints, flavored multivitamins, desserts and baked goods. Ingesting this can result in a life-threatening drop in blood sugar, ingestion and liver failure. 
  • Wacth where you spread Rodenticides for the pests on your property. Pets could consume the toxin by eating the pesticide or eating the poisoned rodent. 
  • A clean home feels amazing, but careful if your pet tries to consume any cleaners and chemicals. Places like: the bathroom, kitchen, window, and car cleaners, antifreeze, paint thinner, pool and hot tub products all are terribly toxic for our furry loved ones. 
  • Spring is approaching and flowers and plants are beautifully blooming; but there are certain ones that are dangerous to pets. Watch out for: lilies, tulips, daffodils, tiger lilies, asiatic, Japanese lilies, cactus, ivy, poinsettias, mistletoes.. Cats, especially, will suffer with severe kidney failure if they had ingested just a few petals, leaves, or even the pollen. 

If your pet had accidentally ingested any of the above toxins, lookout for signs of:

  • Vomiting or diarrhea, particularly with blood present
  • Excessive drooling
  • Lack of appetite
  • Lethargy or restlessness
  • Pale gums
  • Seizure or tremors
  • Collapse

What you can do:

If you suspect that your pet ate something poisonous, act fast. Note that the smaller the pet, the smallest amount of toxin eaten could cause a quicker serious illness or death. Look for what your pet ate and note how much they had. 

Quickly call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center hotline at 888-426-4435. Share with them the item your pet had and any symptoms your pet might be having at the time. 

If your pet needs immediate attention, take them to an after-hours or 24/7 animal emergency hospitals in your area. 

We love our pets and want them to live in a safe environment. That is why the National Pet Poison Prevention month is dedicated to advocating the safety of our furry loved ones. Take some time to research what products could cause damage to your pet and promptly remove them from your pet’s line of sight. The last thing we want is for our pets to eat something dangerous. 

Hope you and your pet are healthy and happy, from the Fire Hydrant Team!